5 Years later...
I just did my last exam. Psychology. A bit of a weird ending to my engineering studies, especially since it was scheduled after my thesis presentation which was yesterday. Both went well. Which prooves that it is possible to study when you're slightly tipsy after four glasses of wine (professors kept giving me refills) on a nice BBQ for all the graduating civil engineering students. My exam was, very conviently of course, scheduled after the BBQ and on my birthday. Apart from that it I did it the usual way: 2 hours of sleep and a lot of perseverence.
Luckily, the examination location made up for that. It was in 'de Plateau', which is the huge old building were I had most of my courses during the first two years. It's also the building where I stood on the roof, sat on the stone steps, made all my friends, felt my stomach turn each time I walked past my first exam schedule, got bad eyes staring at computer screens, drank sangria in the hall, gave BEST presentations, slept in the attic, got thrown out of classes once (What a shock! I became a good student since that day), prayed before exams, put up posters, got punished by 'Santa Claus', called my parents to tell them I'd passed etc... What a lot of memories!
I look around the big empty hall in that old faculty building, and suddenly I can remember exactly what it was like when I walked through those gigantic doors for the first time in my life, nearly 5 years ago, to do the engineering entrence exam (which was abolished three years back by the way). Just turned 18, in the middle of 400 totally unknown guys, which ALL looked like nerds to me at that time :-). Sorry guys, looking back on things that must have been a side effect of my nerves (or yours), but I can't help remembering the first thing I thought was 'Oh my gosh, it's all true what they say about engineers!' :-p. I was never so stressed for an exam as that one, after the main hall the second place I saw was the toilet!
Well, it's five years later now... and I just walked out of those doors for the last time, kind of like very consciously closing a big volume of my life (yes, mine comes in volumes, not chapters ;-)). It was about time too, because the hard disk of my laptop is full.
I'm 23 since 6 o'clock this morning, and for the first time in my life I actually feel like a grown up. And you know what, it's very, very nice...
Luckily, the examination location made up for that. It was in 'de Plateau', which is the huge old building were I had most of my courses during the first two years. It's also the building where I stood on the roof, sat on the stone steps, made all my friends, felt my stomach turn each time I walked past my first exam schedule, got bad eyes staring at computer screens, drank sangria in the hall, gave BEST presentations, slept in the attic, got thrown out of classes once (What a shock! I became a good student since that day), prayed before exams, put up posters, got punished by 'Santa Claus', called my parents to tell them I'd passed etc... What a lot of memories!
I look around the big empty hall in that old faculty building, and suddenly I can remember exactly what it was like when I walked through those gigantic doors for the first time in my life, nearly 5 years ago, to do the engineering entrence exam (which was abolished three years back by the way). Just turned 18, in the middle of 400 totally unknown guys, which ALL looked like nerds to me at that time :-). Sorry guys, looking back on things that must have been a side effect of my nerves (or yours), but I can't help remembering the first thing I thought was 'Oh my gosh, it's all true what they say about engineers!' :-p. I was never so stressed for an exam as that one, after the main hall the second place I saw was the toilet!
Well, it's five years later now... and I just walked out of those doors for the last time, kind of like very consciously closing a big volume of my life (yes, mine comes in volumes, not chapters ;-)). It was about time too, because the hard disk of my laptop is full.
I'm 23 since 6 o'clock this morning, and for the first time in my life I actually feel like a grown up. And you know what, it's very, very nice...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home