Thursday, September 14, 2006

Indian Summer

When I came back from Copenhagen I got a nice surprise. I stepped from the train in Antwerp and instantly realised (and realising is a hard thing to do when you're brain dead after 48 hours with no sleep) I was totally overdressed. I left at night in Denmark and arrived at noon in Belgium where it was, hold on, 25 degrees! It seems summer finally didn't skip the lowlands after all. After the heatwave in July it's been raining almost non stop here. And then people wonder why I travel so much...
I'm home for the last two weeks before moving to Italy. I'm catching up on the medical and bureaucratic stuff I need to take care of before I leave. I got myself pumped full of vaccinations (8 of them in one day!) at the Tropical Institute already and spent this morning at a medical center giving blood and other human stuff... I really loathe these kind of things. I honestly admire nurses and doctors and surgeons, I would so not be able to do their job!
That was this morning... tonight's perfect. The veranda doors are open, I can see across the field behind the garden. The cornfield to the west is heavy, mature, like a mother with child. On an evening like this it's easy to understand how the ancient cultures came up with their tales and myths of gods and nature... As for me, I'm so glad I'm alive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home