Etna Glory
Late August I hiked to the top of Mount Etna (Sicily), way up to the 3300 m summit of this large active volcano. I ignored the sign saying 'danger' and that it's better to go with a guide, and head off on my own. Up the steep slope while your feet are sinking away in warm, black volcanic ash, untill suddenly, there is the huge crater falling away in front of you. Between the clouds of sulphoric smoke (which make your eyes tear, tickle your nostrils and get you coughing unstoppable if you make the mistake to breathe through your mouth) you peer into the depths. As the smoke moves so do the beauty and colours, and you are looking once at yellow and red slopes, then at ominous spikes rising up from the deep and dark as the nigth. There are three craters, and I climbed to see two of them. It was magical...



4 Comments:
i like......
Last year we've been on the Etna too and it is as you describe: a magnificent vulcano to climb! Wish I was there now...
Helena!! Don't be stupid and promise me you'll go with a guide next time! When they say it's dangerous, it really is. I don't want you getting killed.
Wij zijn op Stromboli ook met een gids geweest, en wij hadden 3(!) mensen mee die bijna full-time die vulkaan bestuderen. Het is gevaarlijk. Etna is actief en heeft midden juli nog uitbarstingen gehad.
hehe de goeie raad van de vulkanoloog :)
Post a Comment
<< Home